Sunday 20 January 2013

Change of plan

So far I've stayed pretty much the same weight wise this week, however, I feel like I need a change of routine - my diet is pretty good at the moment but I sometimes find myself struggling to reach my 1400 calorie goal right now and have been feeling quite heavy and bloated. I'm not quite sure why but I know that I definitely need to up my exercise and am going to be beginning this plan tomorrow (with some modifications/replacements for movements that need a bench), doing my DVD workout on the rest days and leaving my weekend free. I found the plan on this site if anyone's interested, there seem to be a few good forums on there too so I'd say it's worth a look.

Monday - Chest and Triceps
Chest
Exercise Sets Reps
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 12,10,10,8
Dumbbell Bench Press 4 12,10,10,8
Dumbbell Flys 3 12
Triceps
Dumbbell Skullcrusher 3 12
Dumbbell Tricep Kickback 3 12
One Arm Seated Dumbbell Extension 3 12
Tuesday - Rest Day
Wednesday - Back and Biceps
Back
Exercise Sets Reps
One Arm Dumbbell Row 5 12,10,10,8,6
Bent Over Dumbbell Row 5 12,10,10,8,6
Dumbbell Pullover 2 12,10
Biceps
Incline Dumbbell Curl 3 10
Standing Dumbbell Curl 3 10
Cross Body Hammer Curl 2 10
Thursday - Rest Day
Friday - Legs and Shoulders
Quads
Exercise Sets Reps
Dumbbell Lunge 4 12,10,10,8
Dumbbell Step Up 3 12
Dumbbell Squat 4 12,10,10,8
Hamstrings
Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift 4 12,10,10,8
Calves
Seated Dumbbell Calf Raise 2 15,12
Dumbbell Standing Calf Raise 2 12,10
Shoulders
Standing Dumbbell Press 4 12,10,10,8
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 12,10,10
Bent Over Dumbbell Reverse Fly 3 12,10,10
Dumbbell Shrug 4 12,10,10,8

What I'm wondering is whether I should try upping my calories as a result of this? I'm already struggling to reach them but I'm sure I could add in a protein shake/bar as well as adding some more elements to my meals in order to achieve this. Any advice would be really appreciated, I'm going to stick to this exercise routine for 4 weeks and document the results - fortunately I have dumbbells already so that's not an issue as this workout can be modified so that they're all this workout requires. I'm going to begin on 9kg (around 20lb) and increase or lower the weights accordingly.

So, a bit of a disappointing week but an action plan ready and waiting! Any advice on my calorie intake would be great as I'm quite unsure of what to do.

6 comments:

  1. I like our plan and I am going to definitely going to check out that website. I am finding it hard to get the motivation for exercise. Good luck with this though :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1400 calories sounds reasonable, but from what you've told me in your comment, I'd say you might do better with more lean protein, cut out the potatoes and the pasta altogether, up the vegetables, cut the fruit to one piece/day, increase your water intake. Are you doing any cardio exercise in addition to the strength training?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Ok - so rice still ok as an accompaniment occasionally? I'm doing a Davina Mccall DVD 2/3 days a week which is largely cardio with some strength moves but no significant weight, am I right in thinking more eggs, beef and fish for lean protein (I have no idea about nutrition -embarrassed face-) thank you for your advice

      Delete
  3. I did the New Rules of Lifting for Women program and saw amazing results with changes in my body shape and increase in strength. I highly recommend it for resistance training! I know it seems strange to follow a book for a workout plan vs. a DVD or trainer, but it really worked for me.

    ReplyDelete